Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Last Night Was Movie Night

I'd like to thank you all for your concern about my health and well being. I am just fine. This despite the fact that I posted nothing yesterday. I'm trying to get my money's worth out of our Netflix subscription, and I think failing pretty badly at it this month. We have the three-movie plan, and we've long dedicated one movie the The Childrens. Right now, they have Monsters, Inc. Then, in a bad strategy move, The Mrs. decided to get herself two godawful period pieces for when I was in Ft. Collins for a two-night business trip about a month ago.

Problem is, she only watched one of them. So we're stuck with Pride and Prejudice taking up the second of our allocation of three. That means I can only have one movie at a time that I can watch, as I have long ago dropped all pretense of enjoying sitting with The Mrs. while she watches this crap like you have to do early on in a relationship. That one movie was Matchstick Men.

Here's my brief review: a marginally entertaining movie that completely telegraphed its "surprise" plot twist such that I was sure that couldn't possibly be what was going to happen because it was too obvious. Then, when that was exactly what happened, I felt really let down. There was one real highlight to this movie. Nicholas Cage's performance as a person suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder. Sadly, in typical Hollywood fashion, he is "cured" for most of the movie simply by changing his general outlook on life. My guess is he was cured because the Hollyweasels thought it would too distracting to have a whack-job as the central character throughout the whole movie.

His daughter in the movie, played by Alison Lohman, was supposed to be 14. I kept looking at her and thinking she didn't look like any 14-yr old I ever knew. Then I felt guilty for having, umm, special feelings. However, I later looked her up, and she was 23 when the movie was made. So now I feel better.

Next up is Swordfish. How can you go wrong with John Travolta?

I've changed my mind again. I don't think the butterfly bush is going to make it.

3 comments:

CJ said...

Are you really okay when John Travolta is the one you thought of when you think of Swordfish? Try googling "swordfish movie"...

Anonymous said...

Is she the girl with the pink hair in that show Hannah watches? You pig. upshz, better than stuckshz

Anonymous said...

The girl that plays Stephanie on Lazy Town is Julianna Rose Mauriello, and she's 15. What does she have to do with the girl in Matchstick Men? Why are you so grump at Daddy?