Friday, September 22, 2006

My new hobby

I'm not sure it realy rises to the level of a hobby, but I've been spending a lot of time tonight searching out the quality blogs in blogger by clicking the "next blog" button. I've found that the people who have the most elaborate websites also tend to have little or nothing to say, whereas the people who use a prety much stock blogger template also have little or nothing to say, but at least the website isn't so distracting.

After a while of this, I figured I'd try out a new hobby. See, the way the "next blog" button works is that whenever someone puts up a post, they go to the top of the "next blog" queue. You come across an awful lot of blogs that say stuff like, "I decided to start blogging today." Little, one sentence posts just to try out the interface. My first post was one of those, too. But I quickly deleted it and posted some pap. Not really the quality pap you get today. That didn't really kick in until the third post.

So, anyways, since people who are just for the very first time trying out blogging are very unlikely to have installed that wonderful free code from statcounter that tells you if people are viewing your page (answer - yes they are, but they're immediately clicking "next blog" cuz they're really just looking for pictures of topless girls in the stands at world cup soccer matches), I figured I'd leave a little comment whenever I came across one of the maiden voyages. A little shock for the new poster. Then, I sit back and watch my statcounter log to see if I got any trackbacks from it.

Well, so far just the one. Someone in LA on mindspring.com, which is apparently a subdivision of Earthlink, since Earthlink owns the domain name. Can't tell which one of the blogs it was from, because of course no personally identifiable information is reported by statcounter. And, like all such junk traffic, it was a zero second duration visit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'm going to read your blog anymore. It's become content-free. Plus I'm being an enabler by reading it.

CherkyB said...

It's because my life has become content-free.

Anonymous said...

Well I look forward to reading it!

Benjamin said...

I have the same hobby with you.
By clicking the next blog,I often find some interesting blog and people.It's very cool.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, so that's how you found my blog!

(And there's something to be said for a content-free life, some days... Maybe not EVERY day, but we all need a break now and then.)