Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Something Not to Do 14

Let's say, purely hypothetically, that after a long, hard day of work, you come home to enjoy a home cooked meal with your family. Then, part way through, something akin to this transpires:
MaxieC: "I want a cupcake."

The Mrs.: "You need to eat your dinner first."

MaxieC: "No! I'm done eating! I want a cupcake!"

The Mrs.: "You haven't eaten your dinner. No cupcake until you eat your dinner."
So far, so good.
MaxieC: "But I'm not huuuungry! It's too spicy! I want a cupcake!" [stomp stomp stomp]

The Mrs.: "It's just the sausage that's spicy. Eat this part."

MaxieC: "Noooo!!!! I'm done eating! I want a cupcake NOW!"

The Mrs.: "Well, at least eat your salad before you have a cupcake."
Hmmmm...
MaxieC: "No. I'm getting a cupcake now." [climbs up on counter, gets a cupcake]

The Mrs.: "OK, but right after you eat your cupcake, you have to eat your salad."
[Snorf snorf cupcake munch munch mmmm yummy]
MaxieC: "OK, I'm done."

The Mrs.: "Now eat your salad."

MaxieC: "Noooooo!!!!! I'm fuuuuuullllll!!!!!!!!!"

The Mrs.: "Well, OK, eat your carrots at least."

MaxieC: "Noooooo!!!!!!"

The Mrs.: "Come one. Just one bite of carrot?"
Now, I know it may be tempting given the wonderful warmth you are feeling from your first glass of genuine French Beaujolais in years, a tanginess that really cannot be matched in even your finest domestics, but this is really not the right time to whip out, "You are the Neville Chamberlain of motherhood." Possibly true, but definitely not helpful.

That would be Something Not to Do.™

[ previous ] [ next ]

No comments: