Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A funny thing happened today at work

But I can't tell you about it, cuz it's secret-secret. Remind me in a couple weeks.

The Mrs. and I also had a funny conversation about what we wanted as presents for The Day of Grandest Disappointment. But I also can't tell you about that.

Once you delete those two things, I am left without any great things to share. I didn't go to the gym. I didn't ride the erg. I didn't go to the post office. I didn't even have ice cream. There have been no shirt-hanger-related squabbles of late.

Someone has been eating my potato chips while I was at work.

Today I received an email at work inviting me to enroll in a class called "Gender Differences and Communication". I figured it was about how certain nouns have different gender in different languages and how that reflects the attitudes of the population of people speaking those languages. I thought that an odd subject to be offering at work. But then I read further, and learned that it was actually about communication differences between the sexes and had nothing to do with gender at all. The author had just substituted the word "gender" when she meant to say "sex". How very leftist and trendy!

But that reminded me of something that happened yesterday. I was having lunch in the cafeteria with a guy from work, as we both had a meeting with our boss from 11:30-12:30 which rolled right over our ability to leave the building to eat. He was telling me how he had gained 8 lbs. since he switched from unsweatened iced tea to Coke for lunch. I held up my cup and said, "They sell Diet Coke. No calories." Then, he said, "I won't drink that. There's something in artificial sweeteners that's linked to insanity." So, naturally, I replied, "Come on. If that were true, every woman in the country would be insane. [dramatic pause, furrowed brow] Hmmm..."

2 comments:

ellie said...

There are some who take exception to the idea that there are communication differences between the sexes. Read more on the family web.

As Buddha said, "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."

Anonymous said...

Bite me