Sunday, October 24, 2010

I don't like meatloaf

My dear wife unfortunately grew up in an environment where they didn't have a lot of money and ate mostly dirt and bugs. Thus, she has a soft spot in her heart for things normal people don't think of as delicacies. Like eating bologna off of a vinyl couch, ground spam and onion sandwiches on hamburger buns, and meatloaf.

Now, I detest meatloaf. I always have. The Mrs., though, absolutely insists that I love meatloaf. She has no evidence of it, but she clings to it like a liberal clings to the belief that higher taxes creates jobs. Every damn year for the twenty years she has lived with me we have gone through the same little ritual. As soon as the weather starts cooling off in the fall, she starts thinking about meatloaf.

The Mrs.: "I love fall. Fall makes me crave meatloaf. Will you east a meatloaf if I make it?"

Me, CherkyB: "I don't like meatloaf."

The Mrs.: "You don't like your mother's meatloaf. You've never had a really good meatloaf. You've never had my meatloaf. My meatloaf is fantastic. You'll love it."

Me, CherkyB: "I've had your meatloaf. I don't like meatloaf."


Then, I have to try to choke down a horrible meatloaf. Tonight it was a new recipe that was so foul that The Childrens couldn't even eat it. It was supposed to be Ted Turner's recipe for bison meatloaf. I doubt very much Ted Turner eats anything like that.

But the most disappointing thing is that I can't convince her that I've ever tried her meatloaf. Twenty years this has been going on. Twenty years of trying meatloaf, with always this one going to be the one I'll like, and continual denial it ever happened. Sheesh.

6 comments:

Rhonda said...

pretend its a hamburger.

fat moother said...

Put some hot sauce on it.

Anonymous said...

I think I have head lice.

Manly Lesbian said...

At least it had some flavor to it. More than, say, the food you ate as a child.

Jules said...

We like mustard on our meatloaf... yum!

Totally off topic- been reading your posts about putting a trampoline in ground. We are debating putting 2 in the ground for Christmas this year. One right next to the other with a basketball standard in between for maximum jumping/slam dunking pleasure! Anyhow, I would love to ask you a few questions on putting 2 side by side and what you think about that. We live in Dallas and I have tried to find a ton of information about this and there is next to nothing. I need some help! Please email me at: pamperedjules@yahoo.com if you are avail to chat. Thanks! Julie

Anonymous said...

your google adsense is for rehabs